One Love, One Heart
Lets get together and feel alright

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The perfect Vacation




There is no such thing as a perfect vacation. No matter how much planning, researching or praying you do there is always something bound to go wrong. Like the time we got to the Hertz rental counter in L.A. only to find out Brian’s drivers license was expired and they wouldn’t rent a car to me because I wasn’t twenty five yet, or the time he lost his debit card at the Space Needle in Seattle and just a few days later we locked the keys in the car outside of our hotel. It’s the unexpected things that happen that make those trips memorable but it’s a positive attitude that gets you through them.

Over the last few years I’ve become somewhat of a personal travel agent for my friends and family. So much so that Expedia has made me an elite plus member. There is no real reason why these people come to me other then the fact that I have plenty of time and experience on my hands to help them out. They want advice on where to go, what to see, how to get the cheapest price on their dream vacation and I’m more then happy to help them. Like most people they are nervous about the unknown and have preconceived ideas on how things should be. I think this is the biggest mistake that people face when booking a vacation. We get so wrapped up on what we see on TV and the fantasy they portray that we forget that real life isn’t like that. Unless of course you’re will to pay five star prices to achieve that fantasy, I personally am not. I’d rather book two or three vacations during the year at a lower end hotel then pay five star prices for one vacation. As for their nerves that’s a normal human response to the unknown. I envy those who are able to jet off into the sunset without a care in the world.

I’ve decided to list a few helpful hints on how to get the best out of your vacation.

1. Start your planning well in advance. Time is very important when it comes to booking a successful vacation. When hotels/airlines have plenty of seats/rooms available they offer them at lower prices. If your one of those lucky few who have money to burn and no set schedule the same is true for booking a last minute vacation. The travel industry is desperate to fill empty slots and you can find great deals by waiting.

2. It’s usually cheaper to fly during the middle of the week then it is on the weekend. I usually find that Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday offer the best deals. Having said that, I have also found some great deals on the weekend so don’t discount checking out those days as well. Most airlines update their prices on Tuesday. If you find a flight but the prices is to expensive check back the next week and see if it’s lowered.

3. Airlines and hotels change their prices constantly. More then once I’ve found a vacation I liked only to have the price increase or decrease within the hour. As hotels/airlines start to fill their rooms/seats they increase their prices accordingly. So make sure you check everyday or every couple of days. You’ll be amazed at the price difference.

4. Research where you’re going. Just because a place looks extraordinary on their website doesn’t mean that it’s going to look the same once you get there. I like to use Tripadvisor.com, Expedia.com, and Google Earth before I ever book a vacation. Trip advisor gives unbiased reviews on hotels, dinning establishments’, parks, and the local atmosphere. It’s a very handy tool when it comes to getting your moneys worth out of a vacation. Google Earth allows you to pin point your location on a map. This is handy because it gives you a reference point on where you’ll be. Are you one of those people who want the solitude or would you rather be in the hustle and bustle of town?

5. Be flexible. I can’t tell you how many people have wanted me to book them a cheap vacation but can only take that vacation during Thanksgiving/Christmas break. Hello! That’s when everyone else wants to take their vacations too. The travel industry knows this and they jack the prices up. You have to be flexible to find the best deals. Sometimes that means taking your children out of school for a week which I personally feel the life experience they’ll receive while on vacation out weights the consequences of missing a week of school. That is of course if you’re doing education things while there.

6. Have more then one destination in mind when researching a vacation. If your dream vacation is Hawaii but it’s out of your price range. Then try somewhere else like Mexico or the Caribbean. Someone somewhere is always having a deal. If you limit yourself to that one location you’re going to miss out on excellent savings opportunities.


7. The internet is your friend. Use it! All those questions you have about what to do, where to stay, and what to bring. Ask Google! Thats what its there for!

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Thanks Eava! And shame on you for advocating taking your children out of school for a week! ;)

Rose said...

yay google!

The Brunner Bunch said...

Awesome Mrs. Travel Agent- you need to charge to view your blog! Great advise ;)