Pictures of our trip are posted below.
Brian, Isaac, Caren, and I spent three days backpacking through the Russian Wilderness. For those of you who don't know where that is, its just above the town of Etna. And for those of you who don't know where Etna is, its just North of Trinity Lake on Hwy 3. Sorry it wasn't actually in Russia. ha ha.
We left my parents place at Trinity early Saturday morning and made it to the Taylor Lake Trail head around 9am. We hiked up to the Pacific Crest Trail(PCT) (Mexico to Canada) and began our journey. The plan was to hit Upper Albert Lake by mid afternoon. By mid afternoon my feet hurt, I was exhausted and we were no where near Upper Albert. We reached Payne's lake around 2:30pm and for those of you who aren't paying attention 9am to 2:30pm is a lot of freaking walking. We ate lunch and we're promised by the guy holding the map that Lower Albert was just over that hill. What he forgot to mention was that hill was straight UP and all granite. I'm not in the best of shape but I feel like I can hold my own against anybody. Having said that I was at my breaking point when we started up that granite slab. About halfway up I was stung three times by a bee/wasp/bug? I'm not really sure at this point but this is where I completely lost it. I wrapped myself in a towel, sat down and cried on a rock. Did I forget to mention at that very moment two guys crested over the hill and got to experience me in all my glory? Needless to say Brian packed my bag the rest of the way up the hill. Ha I don't know why I keep calling it a hill. It was a Fxxking mountain.
Brian, Isaac, Caren, and I spent three days backpacking through the Russian Wilderness. For those of you who don't know where that is, its just above the town of Etna. And for those of you who don't know where Etna is, its just North of Trinity Lake on Hwy 3. Sorry it wasn't actually in Russia. ha ha.
We left my parents place at Trinity early Saturday morning and made it to the Taylor Lake Trail head around 9am. We hiked up to the Pacific Crest Trail(PCT) (Mexico to Canada) and began our journey. The plan was to hit Upper Albert Lake by mid afternoon. By mid afternoon my feet hurt, I was exhausted and we were no where near Upper Albert. We reached Payne's lake around 2:30pm and for those of you who aren't paying attention 9am to 2:30pm is a lot of freaking walking. We ate lunch and we're promised by the guy holding the map that Lower Albert was just over that hill. What he forgot to mention was that hill was straight UP and all granite. I'm not in the best of shape but I feel like I can hold my own against anybody. Having said that I was at my breaking point when we started up that granite slab. About halfway up I was stung three times by a bee/wasp/bug? I'm not really sure at this point but this is where I completely lost it. I wrapped myself in a towel, sat down and cried on a rock. Did I forget to mention at that very moment two guys crested over the hill and got to experience me in all my glory? Needless to say Brian packed my bag the rest of the way up the hill. Ha I don't know why I keep calling it a hill. It was a Fxxking mountain.
We made it to Lower Albert Lake at around 4pm. It look us close to 1.5 hours to ascend 700 feet. I was done. Burnt out, tired, cranky, in pain, and smiling like a lunatic. We never made it to Upper Albert that night :-) The night brought thunder and lighting but we were lucky enough to wake up to clear Sky's. Originally I though the plan was to retrace our steps once we saw upper Albert but I should have known better. The boys though we should cross country it to twin lakes which was just over the hill and through the woods. We hiked three hours that day on some of the steepest terrain I have ever seen. Twin lakes had an awesome campsite and a muddy lake. We got our tents up just in time to see the thunder clouds over head. Monday morning we spend another three hours hiking back to Taylor Lake Trail head. A very nice family was getting ready to spend the day at the lake and offered us a ride to our car. THANK YOU VERY NICE FAMILY!. Burgers at Dottie's and back home we went.
Its hard to capture all of Gods glory in photos and even harder for me to express it in words.
Its hard to capture all of Gods glory in photos and even harder for me to express it in words.
No comments:
Post a Comment